Old 11-05-2009, 02:53 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Garden Hose for transfer of K1 Oil ?

"RBM" wrote in :

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in
:

"RBM" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my tank
50 ft
away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length is
$200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose like
the one
shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for this
purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w.../product_6970_
20 0218424_200218424

I'm sure it's not the proper thing to use. The fuel probably
deteriorates the hose material. There's probably 20 federal laws
prohibiting it's use, but I've been dumping about 500 gallons of
heating oil from an above ground tank to an underground tank each
year for about five years now, using a cheap garden hose and a gear
pump. I just make sure to keep a close eye out for problems while
the transfer is going on

I'm just curious: what kind of 'problems' do you keep an eye out
for that you can actually solve after you visually note them
happening?

jc

City inspectors maybe.

If you need to look over your shoulder in fear of an inspector
checking the type of hose you're using, it time to move

I meant the fact of private citizen pumping oil into the ground...tank or
not.