Old 11-05-2009, 12:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
someone someone is offline

Default Grapevine problem

"someone" wrote in message
I have had a grapevine growing outside next to my back door for about 15
years and it has always provided enough grapes for a few bottles of wine.
Over the last couple of weeks it has put out lots of new leaves and little
bunches of grape flowers so things looked good. The grape trails in one
direction over the back of my house and in the other direction over an
adjoining fence.

A couple of days ago I noticed that all the new shoots and the grape
flowers were drooping and they look like they are dying. The soil is well
watered and all the other nearby plants (primulas, ground elder) look
fine. So far they have not recovered, and we have not had a frost so I
can't understand what could be causing this. Any ideas?

Thank you to everyone who replied. I've had a poke around in the soil
thinking it might be vine weevil, but there is no sign of any, or not that I
could see. I doubt it was the cold weather since we haven't had a frost for
quite a while now. Also, I have a much older, neglected grapevine behind a
nearby greenhouse and, while it's only got a few leaves at the moment it's
certainly not dying. I wonder if it could be a combination of the sick one
being really advanced, together with very damaging winds about a week ago.
I'm not sure why being well watered would be a problem, since it's not
soaking or anything, and the garden has been extremely dry lately.

I am afraid I will have to read the sick one the last rites, since I can't
find a solution yet.

someone