Old 11-05-2009, 04:38 AM posted to rec.gardens
David E. Ross David E. Ross is offline

Default front-yard gardens?

On 5/10/2009 6:39 PM, Ablang wrote:
I just read a good article in the Sacramento News & Review. It is
he

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/content?oid=970712

I was wondering (after reading that article) if there was any legal
restrictions to growing fruits, veggies, & other crops in one's front
yard in Sacramento County? What about eliminating a lawn in favor of
such ideas?

So what have you grown in favor of a green lawn?

Down south in Ventura County, my front "lawn" is pink clover (Persicaria
capitata), a ground cover that is not actually a clover but has
clover-like pink flowers. It doesn't need mowing and will survive
(almost thrive) with reduced watering.

Several years ago, a house on a neighboring street had a vegetable
garden in front, including corn. I didn't hear any adverse comments.

Fortunately, neither my tract nor that tract had a mandatory owners'
association that could control the street-side appearance of a house.
About 2 miles away, there is a tract where you can't even plant a rose
bush in front without approval from the tract's architectural review
committee, which will want to know the color of the flowers and the
height of the bush.

Thus, not only should you check with your local municipality (city or
county, depending on whether you are in an incorporated area) but also
the CC&Rs on your property. The CC&Rs will indicate if an owners'
association has any say over your front yard.

--
David E. Ross
Climate: California Mediterranean