Old 11-05-2009, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Gordon H[_3_] Gordon H[_3_] is offline

Default Ferns as Weeds

In message , Anne Welsh Jackson
writes
Gordon H wrote:
Jennifer Sparkes writes:
David in Normandy wrote:
Des Higgins wrote:
Horsetails are a different matter. Just reading this post without
correct protection could be risky.

Damn! A horsetail just came up through my keyboard!

Guess you are lucky it isn't a Russian Vine ...

As we looked from a bird hide at Marbury Country Park today we saw
some healthy young examples of Japanese Knot Weed.

I don't know if I'd recognise JKW, but we have a lot of Himalayan
Balsam growing around Perth. I think it emanated, originally, from
the Moncrieff (of that ilk) estate...

It's showing again at Etherow Park, and the tedious job of pulling it
will start soon. :-(
Mavis and I spotted and puled up some young JKW there last weekend, but
the problem is that it spreads underground by the roots, and the wardens
have to apply for a licence each year to treat it by injecting it with a
special killer.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply