Old 11-05-2009, 08:13 PM posted to rec.gardens
raycruzer raycruzer is offline

Default front-yard gardens?

On May 11, 7:23*am, enigma wrote:
Jangchub wrote :

Each house or development or area in the county may have deed
restrictions preventing this, but I couldn't imagine if you did
a nice, tidy garden people would most likely not complain. *I
have great neighbors that way. * They not only tolerate me, they
never complained once when my front garden went to pot when I
couldn't garden for a few years.

*lucky! my neighbors, when i lived in Manchester NH, called the
police on me *all the time* about my gardens... well, the first time
it was about my dogs because i took them out during a hurricane.
sorry lady, but the dogs needed to go & they don't go in the house (i
had a Borzoi & a Shepherd/Lab at the time. not rug rats). i was out
with them. but she called & filed an animal cruelty complaint...
*then she complained i had rats in my compost pile. i had a *possum*
living under my shed. she hated my combination vegetable/cottage
garden in the front yard.
*the police finally got so tired of her complaints over nothing they
told her if she called about me one more time, they'd arrest *her*
for wasting their time.
i can't say i miss her now that i've moved away
lee

I don't know about Sacramento, but many cities actually encourage
homeowners to convert their lawns to native plants, xeriscaping and
edible gardens by paying them a benefit for the cost of lawn
conversion. Examples of lawn conversions in San Jose, San Rafael and
other cities are identified in the Ergonica Lawn Conversion site. If
you search for "lawn conversion" you will easily find this site and
many other relevant sources.

I suggest homeowners should contact their local city or county elected
officials to see if there is a support structure of some kind
locally. Perhaps your councilperson will sponsor a local ordinance or
plan to encourage lawn conversions?

It's all about grass roots politics, but without the grass.

Once upon a time, I remember when I used to enjoy mowing the lawn. No
lawn now. Better things to do.