Old 11-05-2009, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default Ferns as Weeds

Bigal writes

I thought that you could identify a fern by the spores on the leaves.
If that is the case, bracken isn't a fern.

If you went by that, the Royal Fern wouldn't be a fern, nor polypody ;-)
Ferns have spores, which may be underneath the leaves or in separate
spore-bearing structures (like the two I mentioned above)

Bracken spore bearing thingies are in a thin line around the edge of
each leaf segment. The spores ripen in July and August.

It just looks like one. I
once lived in Wales but worked in Aston university, B'ham. I was
asked if I could bring in some bracken that was wanted for some
research. The arguement was that I had brought back some male fern
and not bracked, Until I pointed out that there were no spores on the
leaves.

Male fern spore bearing thingies are obvious in the central area of the
leaf area, and therefore different from bracken..

--
Kay