Old 11-05-2009, 08:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dave Hill Dave Hill is offline
Registered User

Location: South Wales
Default Lawn problems

On 11 May, 19:49, NoSpam wrote:
A couple of years ago we stripped and levelled one area of lawn and
about a year ago did the same to a second one. In all there's probably
an additional 20T of top-soil compared to when we started, from two
different sources.
Both areas were allowed to settle and then thoroughly seeded but the
grass grew in patches rather than evenly and the overall quality of lawn
is pretty awful. The first area also has soft bumps where the grass has
grown.

Any lawn experts out there? What's going on and how can I fix it?

Dave

You don't say how you prepared the site,
Did you Dig it over?
Did you rotovate it?
Or did you do both?
You say you let it settle, did you tread it down?
In my youth we had to cover every inch of the site walking the soil
down, than rake it level, spread the base fertilizer, then walk again,
and so on till the surface was realy bump free, then rake the surface
and sow the grass seed, or lay turf.
Most problems with new lawns are dur to poor/insuficient preperation.
Personaly I'd go for good quality Turf every time.
You say soft bumps where the grass has grown.
I wonder if you have ants starting to colonise your lawn.
David Hill