Old 12-05-2009, 03:19 AM posted to rec.gardens

Default front-yard gardens?

On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:39:42 -0700 (PDT), Ablang
wrote:

I just read a good article in the Sacramento News & Review. It is
he

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/content?oid=970712

I was wondering (after reading that article) if there was any legal
restrictions to growing fruits, veggies, & other crops in one's front
yard in Sacramento County? What about eliminating a lawn in favor of
such ideas?

So what have you grown in favor of a green lawn?

I know several people that planted fruit trees in their front yard. In
California it can draw tree rats (I used to see them when I lived in
Downey, CA). My brother planted apples and pears--it would draw
yellow jackets, make a mess. The fruit was also a tripping hazard,
infested with worms, so he removed the trees. I'm in favor of
keeping the frontal property in respect of the neighborhood.