Old 12-05-2009, 05:49 AM posted to rec.gardens
Geopelia Geopelia is offline

Default front-yard gardens?

"Phisherman" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 10 May 2009 18:39:42 -0700 (PDT), Ablang
wrote:

I just read a good article in the Sacramento News & Review. It is
he

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/content?oid=970712

I was wondering (after reading that article) if there was any legal
restrictions to growing fruits, veggies, & other crops in one's front
yard in Sacramento County? What about eliminating a lawn in favor of
such ideas?

So what have you grown in favor of a green lawn?

I know several people that planted fruit trees in their front yard. In
California it can draw tree rats (I used to see them when I lived in
Downey, CA). My brother planted apples and pears--it would draw
yellow jackets, make a mess. The fruit was also a tripping hazard,
infested with worms, so he removed the trees. I'm in favor of
keeping the frontal property in respect of the neighborhood.

Isn't America fussy!

Here in New Zealand we are down a right of way, so can be as untidy as we
like - for now. But we are about to be amalgamated into Auckland City, so
watch out.

This year the grass got away on me and was waist high before I could chop it
down with the weed eater and mow it. It made a nice crop of hay for the
birds' nests though, and the wild birds loved the seeding grasses.

Our citrus trees are now about 35 years old and cropping well.

Our Korean neighbours have a huge house on a tiny section, but every inch of
ground grows some kind of crop in little beds.

And one family near here had a first crop of potatoes in the front garden,
in a new development. But when they put a lawn in the next year it was
beautiful. They say potatoes are a good first crop though.