Old 12-05-2009, 11:51 AM posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.lawn.garden,alt.home.repair
Cwatters Cwatters is offline

Default Garden Hose for transfer of K1 Oil ?

"RBM" wrote in message

"Red Green" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in :

"Red Green" wrote in message
"RBM" wrote in
:

"Red Green" wrote in message
"Joe" wrote in
:

"RBM" wrote in message

"James" wrote in message
I need to transfer K1 kerosene from my delivery trailer to my
tank 50 ft
away. I have priced hoses made for fuels, and a 50 ft length
is $200-300.

Any reason why I cannot us a commercial grade, 3/4 inch hose
like the one
shown in this link ? This hose would be used **only** for
this purpose,
and would be used no more than two times a year.

Any comments or advice would be welcome.

Thank you.

James

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...et/product_697
0_ 20 0218424_200218424

I'm sure it's not the proper thing to use. The fuel probably
deteriorates the hose material. There's probably 20 federal laws
prohibiting it's use, but I've been dumping about 500 gallons of
heating oil from an above ground tank to an underground tank each
year for about five years now, using a cheap garden hose and a
gear pump. I just make sure to keep a close eye out for problems
while the transfer is going on

I'm just curious: what kind of 'problems' do you keep an eye out
for that you can actually solve after you visually note them
happening?

jc

City inspectors maybe.

If you need to look over your shoulder in fear of an inspector
checking the type of hose you're using, it time to move

I meant the fact of private citizen pumping oil into the
ground...tank or not.

Private citizen pumping privately owned oil from one privately owned
tank to another privately owned tank on private property...privately,
just to clarify

Well in some Granola-head states, when it comes to anything to do with
oil and the ground there is no such thing as "privately".

I hear you just fine. The whole country is becoming a nanny state.

Neighbour of mine had an oil leak recently and lost the contents of their
heating oil tank into the ground. The clean up operation has taken a two
weeks so far and is costing them a small fortune not to mention the fine.