Old 12-05-2009, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default suggestions eagerly sought for this plot.

On 2009-05-12 08:15:29 +0100, bob said:

On Mon, 11 May 2009 15:50:48 +0100, Sacha wrote:

Sorry Bob but where do you live? Climate conditions will make a
difference to suggestions given. My apologies if you've already told
us that and I've missed it! I see some ferns in there so is it a
shady spot or is it mainly sun or half and half. Which way does it
face? Is it under a window and if not, why does height have to be
restricted to 1m?
A quick suggestion would be for Sarcoccas to give intense winter scent
and they get to about 1m. Some of the shrubby Clematis might be nice
for you, too. Hardy Fuchsias, perhaps? Grasses have a nice 'airy' and
flowing feel to them. Personally, I'd avoid roses because it seems as
if you'd be looking at bare twigs for most of the year. Can you pave
the gravel area and perhaps get some water into the middle of it? And
if you can, leave some square gaps between the paving stones and plant
low-growing herbs like thyme and lemon balm in there for colour, scent
and informality. If the gravel is laid on a membrane, you *might* be
able to do that by cutting holes in the membrane and sticking plants in
- it does rather depend on how good, or bad, the soil is under the
gravel. You can underplant with little bulbs like the beautiful little
Narcissus Tete a Tete.

I'm in a Normandy town, so similar weather to the south of UK although
I always suspect a couple of degrees more extreme at both ends.

Thanks for all your suggestions, Sacha, I'll be hovering over the full
range of them at the garden centre when next in the UK. I find scope
for confusion with the centres here, and usually it's pricier.

I've just thought of something you might like. It's a vigorous ground
cover, low-growing and a fabulous colour. Have a look for Persicaria
microcephala Red Dragon. It has little white flowers in summer and is
a perennial. The leaves are beautifully marked. It's hardy, too,
which is a bonus! I've visited Normandy a few times and in many ways
it reminds me of Devon, where we live now and of Jersey where I'm from
originally. The landscapes in the countryside are very similar to
both, as is the lush vegetation. We last spent a few days just outside
Caen and before I knew my husband, I spent 3 days in Trevieres, a
beautiful pastoral, villagey area.

Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Shrubs, perennials, exotic & rare plants
South Devon