Old 12-05-2009, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
alan.holmes alan.holmes is offline

Default flame guns

"brian mitchell" wrote in message
Does anyone here use one?
I have a longish circular driveway and quite a lot of paths to weed and
am thinking of getting one because I seem to spend a small fortune on
chemical weedkiller and find it isn't all that effective.
I'm thinking of a paraffin one and of those the Sheen X300 seems to have
a monopoly. £150 seems a tad expensive for a glorified blowtorch but I
imagine the operating costs would be less than gas.
But how effective are they? How difficult to operate, to light and keep
alight, and so on? I'd appreciate hearing the word of experience!

I have used one and found it useless, it doesn't kill the weeds right off,
merely destroys the top growth, but the roots just keep going forever.

A good quality weed killer will be far more effective.

Don't waste your money on a flame gun.

brian mitchell