Old 12-05-2009, 05:34 PM posted to rec.gardens
gardengal gardengal is offline

Default front-yard gardens?

On May 10, 6:39*pm, Ablang wrote:
I just read a good article in the Sacramento News & Review. *It is
he

http://www.newsreview.com/reno/content?oid=970712

I was wondering (after reading that article) if there was any legal
restrictions to growing fruits, veggies, & other crops in one's front
yard in Sacramento County? *What about eliminating a lawn in favor of
such ideas?

So what have you grown in favor of a green lawn?

Restrictions on what can be planted in a front garden will vary from
municipality to municipality and according to any covenants or
restrictions associated with a specific development and the homeowners
board, if any. Check to see if any of these apply in your area.

On another gardening group I participate in, this question comes up
often. For various reasons, homeowners are opting away from chemical
consuming, time consuming and water consuming lawns in favor of other,
more environmentally conscious plantings. Edible gardens are only one
alternative. You might want to Google the term 'potager', which is a
formalized, ornamental and edible garden common in much of Europe but
gaining popularity here in the US. If well planned, these can be a
very attractive front yard lawn alternative.

And because much of California is under a prolonged drought with
watering restrictions widespread, limiting the amount of lawn one must
tend is often encouraged. There are all manner of alternative, drought
tolerant plantings that combined with well-designed hardscaping
eliminate the need for any lawn at all, especially in the front. In my
area, which features tiny, postage stamp-sized front gardens in the
more urban areas and summer drought conditions, lawns in the front are
considered a waste of space and resources and are often removed. I've
done countless landscape designs for just these situations. My own
front yard in my old garden had NO lawn.......just some wide paver
pathways to accomodate traffic and the rest was filled with plantings,
mostly shrubs, perennials and groundcovers.

It's not exactly Sacramento, but Rogers Gardens in Corona del Mar
sponsors a California Friendly gardening contest that features low
water use gardens, often focusing on front yards that have little, if
any, lawn involved. These could certainly be a source of inspiration
on how to convert your front garden to a no-lawn planting.

http://www.rogersgardensvote.com/garden/entries/