Old 12-05-2009, 07:01 PM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Wants to legalize online gambling and marijuana

In article ,
wrote:
Ingrid, what is this catharsis about? In your original post you gave
your bona fides as "someone who has worked with emotionally disturbed
people and then gone on to become a scientists . ." This is not an
argument.

You go on to say," I am convinced there is enough scientific evidence to
suggest that 80% or more of our "character" is genetically determined,
hardwired in at birth and that it can only be slightly modified by
"training". While Tay Sachs or sickle cell anemia are genetic diseases,
what deterministic impact would they have on "charater"?
This is not an argument.

You, or your article, use the words "may", "likely", "tendency", and
"propensity" in your discussion. This is not an argument.

"While several research groups have found evidence INDICATING THAT
the polymorphic transcriptional control region of the serotonin
transporter gene MAY CONTRIBUTE TO anger-related behavioral
characteristics." So if people get their "polymorphic" do-hicky fixed,
they won't be angry any more? When "INDICATING THAT" becomes "links",
and "MAY CONTRIBUTE TO" becomes "causes", please fill us in but in the
meantime, this is not an argument.

Meanwhile, I about wore my legs off yesterday, running up and down my
part of the hill to install and amend a couple of terraces for my
peppers. With another strip that isn't prep-ed yet, I should have room
for 34 peppers, if I zig-zag them (no I'm not gonna smoke 'em, at least
not until they are harvested. Unfortunately, they are right up against
the interior, south side of my fence, so they had better do their work
quickly before they run out of Sun light. Otherwise, I got a radish
yesterday, and will use more in a salad tonight. I planted eight tomatoes
(5 Brandywine, 2 German striped, and 1 Mortgage Lifter), five of them
were flowering, and inter-spaced among them I planted summer squash. I
got the idea from a web site that recommended interspersing tall and low
plants. I'll let you know how it works out. I'm going for 18# of chcken
manure/100 sq. ft. for the heavy feeders. A bag of mesquite charcoal
turned out to be about 30% charcoal dust, which I incorporated into the
pepper terrace as well. One thing I've noticed about the alfalfa
mulching is that it heats up once it gets wet. Helps warm the soil.
After the dishes, the garden.

There is this misconception that agony or mental illness is the mother of
invention
or creativity or "drive". Would Van Gogh ever been a painter if he hadnt
suffered
mental illness? Van Gogh did not paint during his spells of mental or
physical
illness. Well my FIL and MIL are both fabulous artists and he was happy and
mentally
balanced and PRODUCTIVE for his entire life. She was depressed and
unproductive
until treatment which unleashed her productivity and she is still going
strong at
80+.

There is nothing 'romantic' about suffering with mental or physical illness.

The point is to fix the genetic problem, not simply flush the egg. I am sure
a well
and healthy Steven Hawkins would be much productive over a much longer life
span. Not
that they know what causes LG yet much less fix it.

Ingrid

On Sun, 10 May 2009 11:32:27 -0400, Bill wrote:
Scares me as who decides the military or some corporation with the
good of mankind on the agenda ? I believe our best attributes can come
from duress . Got pain fix it or try . I consider this as medicated
leprosy. AKA Death.

Bill who wonders if Steven Hawkins would make the cut.

Somewhere between zone 5 and 6 tucked along the shore of Lake Michigan
on the council grounds of the Fox, Mascouten, Potawatomi, and Winnebago

--

- Billy