Old 12-05-2009, 08:17 PM posted to rec.gardens
D. Staples D. Staples is offline

Default Tree identification help needed

"Dioclese" NONE wrote in message
"scorpster" wrote in message
We have this tree on our property and would appreciate help to identify
what kind this is. I looked in the books and couldn't figure it out:

http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/unknowntree01.jpg
http://www.statuaryplace.com/images/unknowntree02.jpg

The thin appearing bark makes me think of the local hackberry trees here
in central Texas. Yet, when I do some research on that species, the
hackberry does not have a range in Texas either. So, I'm more confused
now.

http://forestry.about.com/od/hardwoods/ss/hackberry.htm

No, not hackberry, but yes, hackberry is in Texas.

The photo tree has vanilla like seed pods showing over what appear to be red
petals.

Since we don't know where the tree is located, I would call it an exotic.