Old 12-05-2009, 04:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha[_4_] Sacha[_4_] is offline

Default Clematis - part 2

On 2009-05-12 10:38:37 +0100, Martin said:

On Tue, 12 May 2009 02:27:02 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France
wrote:

On May 12, 8:16*am, bob wrote:
On Mon, 11 May 2009 15:33:15 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 11, 6:37*am, bob wrote:
I posted around a week ago about a couple of young clematis being
eaten up. * (Rebecca and Henryi - if this is relevant)
I found and evicted a family of snails tenanting a hole in the mortar
of a flint and lime wall behind the plant and whether they were the
culprits or not the feeding frenzy seems to slowed or even stopped.
But the plants seemed to have either stopped growing or slowed so much
that progress is almost imperceptible. *A couple of slightly chewed
flowers have taken much longer to open than I remember with other
plants and while most of the leaves are erect (a few have wilted) they
look dull.

When I bought and planted these last august - small, about 70cms high
- they seemed to settle in quite well and put on a little growth
before the season end. They started out promisingly this spring
pushing up again. *

There's an established clematis which looks very healthy only 4 metres
away growing through a petiolaris . *The two infants are about 10 cms
from a wall with just a wire network for climbing.

Could there be a problem here? *Are they just about to peg out?

Should I give up on them and try again asap or might patience be
rewarded? *Perhaps a feed or some remedial strategy?

Thanks for any insight.

Bob, you may remember that I posted recently that a clematis I planted
last year was dead. *I panted a new one, next to the "dead" old one
and put a few slug pellets there. *A few days on, the old one has put
on new growth; it wasn't dead, just eaten by slugs and snails, but no
more! *I am glad I didn't pull it up, have you tried, pellets and a
feed?

Judith

No I decided, for the mo anyway, not to use any chemical because it
appeared to me the feasting had abated after I cleared out a load of
greedy snails from a nearby hole in the wall.

What feed would you recommend? *I've got some bonemeal, also some
concentrated tomato feed.

Until it is well established, I use a general purpose feed, diluted, a
capful to a gallon of water and drench it, after that I dont feed
clematis as they seem to do very well without it.

Did you plant an evergreen clematis, Judith? My daughter now has a freshly
imported one in N Staffordshire.
GBP 10 in Holland and up to twice as much in UK.

Not everywhere, Martin. ;-)) £7.50 here. You want to get out more! ;-)))

Add a tenner and get disgustingly rich. )

Or put everyone off!! ;-)

I did say up to. The cheapest we saw were GBP13 and the dearest was GBP20.
Most expensive in the York area and cheapest in N Staffordshire.
My wife spent most of a two week holiday gardening and lurking in garden
centres.
http://www.gardeningexpress.co.uk/Pr...ProductID=1899
£16.95 plus p&p.
http://www.crocus.co.uk/plants/_/cli...-/classid.863/

£19.99

reduced to £14.99

I can recommend the parcel service company that Marks and Spencer's use. I
ordered something around lunch time and it was delivered the next day around
breakfast time.

Ours is next day delivery by 3pm and can be earlier but that's more
expensive to the customer, so this seems the best option. The only
time it's failed is in the very bad weather when a van delivering in
Derbyshire couldn't get up the steep lane to a house. The plants came
back to us and went out a few days later for a second try and all was
well. What I'm intrigued by is how often size of pot isn't mentioned
so you don't really know size of plant coming your way and how seedsmen
don't always say how many seeds there are in a packet - or not
obviously.
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials