Old 12-05-2009, 08:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve Turner[_2_] Steve Turner[_2_] is offline

Default Root stock question

Hi All,

I posted here a while ago about my eucalyptus trees. They had been pot bound
at my sister's but now in my garden. The stems weren't strong enough for the
leaves and were arching over. I was advised to cut them right back, one
person said maybe right away. I bit the bullet and did one last Autumn - it
survived, budding before winter - so did the other one early this Spring.
That is now budding.

So with that good advice I have another question :-)

I bought a whitebeam a couple of months ago from a supermarket. The main
reason I went for a whitebeam over the other choice they had (cherry) was
for the berries in the Autumn that the birds will eat. I'm not much of a
gardener and have only just realised something.

The whitebeam was grafted onto rowan root stock (if that's the right was to
say it) and tonight was when I realised, as I have two sets of leaves
growing. One main stem has whitebeam leaves but several from below the graft
have rowan leaves. These were all there when I bought it but nothing
occurred to me. As it happens rowans also produce berries that are loved by
birds.

I'm not sure what to do. Will both trees grow together so to speak? Or
should I keep cutting one right back?

--
Steve