Old 13-05-2009, 12:33 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
Suzanne D.[_2_] Suzanne D.[_2_] is offline

Default Wal mart cutting back on seeds.

"nanzi" wrote in message news:d947f63e-89ce-4a09-83ff-
I have had seeds from ChinaMart that did not grow at all, and an
Amarylis bulb that never got anything but leaves. I was there
returning an item and the man ahead of me was there with empty seed
packets looking for his $$ back. The cashiers were laughing about him
and I told them I would never buy seeds there again, and why.
It is very frustrating to take the time and trouble to plant seeds and
find out the hard way they were not viable.
_______________

I had some seeds this year that didn't germinate at all. After reading this
post, I went back to examine which ones didn't grow. They were ALL from
Wal-Mart.

I have this theory that Wal-Mart sells the rejects from companies. Seems
like you can buy a brand-name item at a different store and it will work
fine, but if you buy the exact same item at Wal-Mart, it doesn't work.
There have been times I have bought small, inexpensive things such as
clocks, thermometers, and lamps, only to bring them home and discover they
don't work AT ALL. The only thing I can suspect is that the manufacturers
have batches of things that are damaged or defective in some way, and they
sell them to WM.

So with this theory in mind, it doesn't surprise me that the seeds that WM
acquired were ones that didn't work.
--S.