Old 13-05-2009, 06:04 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwin dubren sherwin dubren is offline

Default Heirloom Apples

Wild Billy wrote:

You have to get the public and backyard orchardists to give up
clean unattacked fruit.

The point is that they aren't clean and the environment is polluted in
the process. Again, you don't quantify or qualify your response. All you
give us is probably . . .

Let me say that even some of the stronger chemicals, like Imidan are
burned off by sunlight after a week, or so. Nevertheless, I wash off
all the fruit I pick with soap. Those who are super concerned have
the option of peeling their fruit, since most of the chemicals do
not penetrate the skin of the fruit.

I know certain varieties can be grown
organically, but they usually are not the best tasting ones.

Can you name them, or do you just like the taste of pesticides?

I grow one of them, Williams Pride, a disease resistant apple from
Purdue U. There are others, like Pristine, etc. I tolerate my
Williams Pride because it is one of my few early rippening apples,
and the flavor is not too bad. The apples I really treasure are
not disease resistant, such as Honey Crisp, Golden Russet, Spigold,
etc. I have tried organic sprays and some of the milder orchard
sprays and got a lot of attacked apples. I bet you never heard of
some of these varieties, so you probably don't know what you are
missing.

By the way, don't you think you can cut out this juvenile 'doo' naming?

Sherwin