Old 13-05-2009, 06:31 AM posted to aus.gardens

Default Urgh! European wasps in my garden!

Trish Brown wrote:
What do I do? I spent a fruitless half-hour stalking the little
buggers with a fly swatter (yeah, I know - stupid!). They wouldn't
sit still long enough for me to thwack 'em, nor even allow me to
deliver a sharp forehand volley in fresh air. I'm very reluctant to
spray anything about, since we have a lot of frogs and lizards living
among our veg. What to do???

Spraying them on the wing in small numbers isn't going to do much so save
the frogs the toxic load.

I can't see any nest or definite place from which the wasps are
coming, although there's an old (empty?) paper wasps' nest up under
the eaves of the house. There are swarms of these blasted European
things, though, and it's starting to get dangerous to go out in the
yard. Any and all help gratefully appreciated! =:-0

http://www.agric.wa.gov.au/content/pw/ins/hp/euwasp.pdf

It seems the trick is to find the nest and destroy it and the queen. In a
rural area or leafy suburb it could be in one of 10000 hollow trees

But if you find it you might remove a whole generation unlike the local
non-colonial wasps which each do their own thing.

David