Old 24-02-2003, 01:15 PM
Frogleg

Default when to plant?

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:09:52 -0500, Jim Carter
wrote:

Thank-you to everone who replied to my query. Yes, I live where we have a short
growing season, although temperatures can reach well above 90°F when summer is
at its peak. I am near Ottawa, Canada and my zones should be in my signature
line. The US and Canada use different scales for their zones; the US zone shown
is the equivalent of the Canadian zone.

I am just contemplating our weather forecast for today and find myself wishing I
were "down south". sigh

Temperatures are in celsius: -15°C is about 5F and -34C is about -30F (done in
my head).

Today..Increasing cloudiness. High minus 15. Cold wind chill minus
34.
--
Gardening Zones
Canada Zone 5a

Don't know exact temperature figures, but a friend in Reno, NV has
similar conditions -- frost late and early, and a good dose of high
heat in the summertime. She keeps starting tomato plants and bringing
in green fruit just before the first snow flies. You may want to look
into greenhouse arrangements of one sort or another. In a particularly
cold spring, I kept tomato plants (putting into bigger and bigger
containers) 'inside' 'til they were 2' tall. If the growing season had
only been 2 weeks, they would have produced tomatoes. :-)