Old 13-05-2009, 07:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
bob[_1_] bob[_1_] is offline

Default suggestions eagerly sought for this plot.

On Tue, 12 May 2009 10:35:25 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I've just thought of something you might like. It's a vigorous ground
cover, low-growing and a fabulous colour. Have a look for Persicaria
microcephala Red Dragon. It has little white flowers in summer and is
a perennial. The leaves are beautifully marked. It's hardy, too,
which is a bonus! I've visited Normandy a few times and in many ways
it reminds me of Devon, where we live now and of Jersey where I'm from
originally. The landscapes in the countryside are very similar to
both, as is the lush vegetation. We last spent a few days just outside
Caen and before I knew my husband, I spent 3 days in Trevieres, a
beautiful pastoral, villagey area.

Ok, Sacha, thanks I'll put that Persicaria on the list - sounds
wonderful. I might use it to replace the little vinca I planted. I
bought it only a month ago - it reminded me of an earlier garden I had
a while back. When I took it out of the pot and looked at the label I
noticed it said - "...ideal for beginners...". It made me feel a
total dunce.

I'm always very aware of being somewhere different from the UK; the
buildings, the language (obviously!) and maybe something subliminal or
my own sense of being a foreigner but I know what you mean about
Normandy and Devon, it's often said. It's likened a lot to Dorset
too. Polanski filmed 'Tess' in Normandy to get that Dorset look - of
course at the time he'd been a naughty boy and was steering clear of
the UK.