Old 13-05-2009, 08:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hay fever now!

In message , Michael
Bell writes
In message
TheOldFellow wrote:

On Mon, 11 May 2009 07:08:35 +0100
Michael Bell wrote:

snip
Yesterday evening I got the first attack of what felt like the same,
but it has gone this morning. What plants and their pollen are the
possible causes?

It's probably a tree pollen, but might be a fungus spore allergy
although that's usually something for the autumn.
If you disturbed some dust yesterday, you might get symptoms, but they
won't last. Pollen and spores can survive in dust for centuries.

R.

I once fairly definitely did get a reaction to fungus. My house was
very damp, with streams of water on the windows in the morning and
there was "black mould" in various places. I felt unwell, though
whether it was "hay-fever" is uncertain. In the end I found a leak,
about a cupful a day, from a cold-water feed pipe under the
floorboards. I fixed it, the windows were dry in the morning, the
black fungus died and my health definitely improved.

But I don't think that can be the cause of my trouble now. I would
have thought fungus would not start so markedly at the same time in
early summer?

Michael Bell

The season's come early this year. I had an attack of hay-fever
yesterday. I reckon that the dry and windy weather exacerbates
hay-fever, though walking through beech and oak woods may not have
helped.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley