Old 13-05-2009, 02:46 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default peeking over the fence...

"rachael simpson" writes:

just to say howdy! lol!

The kids and I have been keeping busy these days, but things are slowing
some now. The kids are all doing well, with the baby growing like a
weed...lol!

Tripled the size of our garden this year, we did. Got two main garden
plots, one with 30 rows stretched out lengthwise across 4 acres, and one
smaller one about 1/2 a acre. Got things planted and most are starting to
come up well.

The sweet corn has already grown to average about 2ft high. Cuke plants,
yellow & green squash, and butter beans are a popping up left and right,
all doing well, promising to produce even more than last year. Various
types of peas are showing, but only about 3-4inches high right now.
Tomatoes & peppers, both hot & sweet, are all getting along fine. Went all
out with the tomatoes this year, planting more than ever. Hope to have
lots to put up this summer/fall. Watermelons are a showing as well. Don't
usually have much luck with them here, so keep ya fingers crossed for me
there...lol! Over wintered the collard plants, all have turned to male
plants now, and have brought the most beautiful butterflies out for a
visit.

Rose bushes are full of blooms, as are the hydrangea, some of the lilies
and glads. Weirdest thing happened earlier this year...had a crocus pop up
just outside the flower bed! Always wanted some crocus, but never planted
any, so don't have a clue where it came from, but thankful for it
nonetheless!

Enough of my rambling I guess, the baby's waking up... So, how's everyone
else's gardens a doing?

Nice. 4 1/2 acres of garden is more of a farm... you must have helpers, and
what do you do with so much crop, do you operate a roadside stand and/or do
you sell to local markets. How about some pictures.