Old 13-05-2009, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Bobbie[_5_] Bobbie[_5_] is offline

Default flame guns

Janet Baraclough wrote:
The message
from brian mitchell contains these words:

Does anyone here use one?
I have a longish circular driveway and quite a lot of paths to weed and
am thinking of getting one because I seem to spend a small fortune on
chemical weedkiller and find it isn't all that effective.
I'm thinking of a paraffin one and of those the Sheen X300 seems to have
a monopoly. £150 seems a tad expensive for a glorified blowtorch but I
imagine the operating costs would be less than gas.
But how effective are they? How difficult to operate, to light and keep
alight, and so on? I'd appreciate hearing the word of experience!

I'd recommend getting one secondhand (if you can find anyone willing
to part with one) as they are very tough,
and you can buy spare parts from Sheen.
I bought an ex-hire X300 for £15 over 20 years ago, and use it on
the drive and parking space. In all that time only the jet nozzle has
needed replacing (easy DIY)

If you know how to use an old fashioned primus stove then its the
same principle and easy to light and use.
As for how effective it it is at weed control; very, if you follow
the user instructions. ( Only a swift scorch is required to turn
topgrowth brighter green
as cells burst. Within days it will be dry and brown. A second pass of
the flamegun turns all to ash ). Most people make the mistake of trying
to incinerate all
first time.

Just a few tips from experience. Don't do it on a windy day (because
gusts will blow out the flame).
Have matches in your pocket so if it does blow out you can quickly
re-ignite the vapour.
. Don't point it anywhere near desirable plants, plastic drainpipes and
dustbins, the parked car, french windows etc; the forward heat flash
extends further than you think.
Light it with the business end pointing away from any breeze and
with 3 or 4 empty metres of ground ahead of it;
so if/when while adjusting the burner, you inadvertently get the
flamethrower effect, it won't matter.

Paraffin isn't cheap, but the flamegun is cheaper than weedkiller.

Janet.

Janet, are they easy to handle? Do they require a lot of strength for
instance. There are several mechanical devices that I now find quite
bothersome, but I like the idea of this gun since I don't use chemicals
of any kind in this garden because of the animals.

Bobbie