Old 13-05-2009, 06:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Steve Turner[_2_] Steve Turner[_2_] is offline

Default Root stock question

"K" wrote in message

Steve Turner writes

The whitebeam was grafted onto rowan root stock (if that's the right
was to say it) and tonight was when I realised, as I have two sets of
leaves growing. One main stem has whitebeam leaves but several from
below the graft have rowan leaves. These were all there when I bought
it but nothing occurred to me. As it happens rowans also produce
berries that are loved by birds.

I'm not sure what to do. Will both trees grow together so to speak? Or
should I keep cutting one right back?

So you choices are
a) cut back the rowan and keep the whitebeam
b) do nothing - for a while you'll get both but eventually I'd expect
the rowan to take over completely
c) cut back the whitebeam, and achieve the same result as 2) rather more
quickly.

Thanks, Kay.

--
Steve