Old 14-05-2009, 12:33 PM posted to aus.gardens
Trish Brown Trish Brown is offline

Default Urgh! European wasps in my garden!

terryc wrote:
On Wed, 13 May 2009 13:03:35 +1000, Trish Brown wrote:

What do I do?

Fly trap, the kind that is easy to crawl in, but not get out.
Vegemite in water?
sugar water?
can not remember which works best.

Hah! Great idea! I'll try the little tykes with various baits and see
which ones tickle their fancy. They disappear before it gets dark, but
it's impossible to chase them, since they trundle over a series of
neighbours' fences and I'm not as nimble as I used to be. The nest isn't
in my yard (I don't *think*...), but I'm anxious not to attract a queen
here either. The wasps I do have seem to be just sailing around
aimlessly, barely alighting on anything (hence the problem with the fly
swatter method). Thing is, the kids reckon there are more here today
than there were yesterday. That's not a good sign, is it? =:-0

--
Trish Brown {|:-}

Newcastle, NSW, Australia