Old 14-05-2009, 11:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
K K is offline

Default impossible, oh surely not?

Kate Brown writes

There's a well-established Kerria at the top end - and I can't get
anything else nice to grow there at all! Thistles, grasses, wild
clematis, and ivy grow with abandon.

So have you tried ornamental grasses, thistles, eryngium based on what
already grows there)?

I've tried canna, which grow like weeds elsewhere in the village, but
the snails ate all the leaves and they haven't come up at all this
year. I sow nasturtiums, which sprouted one year but not the next.
This year I divided up a choked iris bed and put in some rhizomes, but
snails like eating their leaves too, so I don't hope for much. I also
put in some spare daffodil bulbs, but we're rarely there early enough
to enjoy them.

Probably not damp enough in winter for daffs.

What about the various succulents? Livingsotne daisies, sedums
(spectabile doesn't get eaten by snails, I don't know about the others)

--
Kay