Old 14-05-2009, 06:23 PM posted to rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
brooklyn1 brooklyn1 is offline

Default peeking over the fence...

"Sheila" wrote in message
.. .
brooklyn1 wrote:

And I know very well what 4 1/2 acres is, my back yard is 5 acres of
lawn, takes a good part of two days to mow, I'd hate to think how much
work it would be to tend to it in crops, would take like six families of
illegals. Yesterday for the first time this season it dried out enough
that I was able to mow my 4 acre back field for the first time, used to
be a hay field and it was already in seed, that takes a full day's labor
every week just to mow and keep the forest from growing back.

We mow 6 acres every week and it has 31 hollies, and 42 trees to mow
around and we mow it using 2 mowers in about 2 hours and 15 minutes. We
both use zero turn radius 5 ft mowers. We used to use a tractor with a
mower behind and it took a lot longer.

Well, two mowers going at the same time are going to be twice as fast as one
tractor. I have a seven foot rear finishing mower on my larger tractor and
a five foot belly mower on my smaller tractor. I mow a little more than ten
acres... I never timed myself as I mow in sections and how long it takes
depends a lot on the weather, wet ground takes longer as I need to go slower
and when it rains often the grass keeps growing but I can't mow, and tall
grass takes a lot longer to mow, often I need to mow the same section twice
at different heights... once the hot dry summer weather arrives I find it
much easier to keep up, but spring is always a guessing game. Oh, post
pictures.