Old 15-05-2009, 02:58 AM posted to rec.gardens
Billy[_7_] Billy[_7_] is offline

Default Fennel vs Tomatoes

In article ,
"David Hare-Scott" wrote:

andy candy wrote:
This year I decided to try growing some fennel in my garden.
Unbeknownst to me, however, fennel apparently inhibits the growth of
tomatoes -- at least this is what I have been told. Can anyone testify
personally to this? Should I also uproot the fennel once it's big
enough? I have it growing on both ends of my garden, right next to my
Brandywine and Caspian Pink plants. Alternately, is there a "safe"
distance away from my tomatoes where I can transplant the fennel? I'm
also curious if anyone knows how the inhibitive fennel effect works --
via the roots, flowers, fully grown plants, whatever.

Much obliged to all for any shared advice.

Drew (rhymes with Grew)

I have grown fennel in many parts of my garden for years, it now self-seeds
all over and I pull out the ones I don't need. I have not noticed it
inhibiting anything.

David

Thanks for the reality check, David. Is this the type of fennel that
grows a bulb or the one that grows a large tap root?
--

- Billy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=En2TzBE0lp4