Old 15-05-2009, 11:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Pat Kiewicz[_2_] Pat Kiewicz[_2_] is offline

Default onions and leeks question

David in Normandy said:

Charlie wrote:

They can also be planted deep using a dibble and then compost, mulch,
etc (you know the routine) added....to accomplish the same end.

That is how I do it, seems a lot less bother than a trench. I dib a deep
hole and drop the leek into it, sometimes only the tip of the leek is
still above ground level. I do not back fill the hole though and just
leave it. It has always worked well for me. Some earth usually tumbles
back in the hole over the coming weeks anyway or the leek grows to fill
out the hole. I grow a couple of hundred leeks this way every year - we
like leek soup :-)

That's essentially how I plant leeks. I prepare the soil with compost
alfalfa and then mulch with a few layers of newsprint and a thick layer of
straw. I then dibble a hole and drop my transplant into it. The tip of the
transplant will usually be below the top of the straw. No backfilling,
just pour a bit of water (mixed with kelp) into the hole.

Other than pulling the occasional wheat or elm seedling (I wish that tree
would just DIE!) there is not much more to do than wait until fall.

I love leeks baked with a little butter...nicely carmelized...yummmm

--
Pat in Plymouth MI

"So, it was all a dream."
"No dear, this is the dream, you're still in the cell."

email valid but not regularly monitored