Old 14-04-2003, 06:44 PM
Paul Kelly

Default Cutting Leylandi

"Charlie" wrote in message
What will happen if I "trim" my leylandi? They're mature, about 15ft I'd
guess. We'd like them to wall height, about 7ft so that's cutting off a
little more than 50%. Will they die? We really don't want them to do
that - we live next door to a pub! What's the best way of going about it?
Ladder and saw?

Ideally hand and knees hands cut them off at ground level!

Otherwise, cut them off 18" below desired height to achieve a flat bushy top
with the trunk hidden - don't worry it will soon make up the 18"!

Best advice on how? Get a tree surgeon in! They will not charge much, you do
not risk life and limb and they take away the dross.

Thereafter, trim to desired height 1/2 per year.

pk