Old 16-05-2009, 01:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Jonathan Campbell Jonathan Campbell is offline

Default How much to pay for someone to mow my lawn?

Gordon H wrote:
[...]
I had been put in the position of writing a Cobol program without having
any training, so I had to work from the green book (can't remember the
authors now), and crib from the print-out of a comprehensive program
someone had written.

My first job after joining a consultancy in the early 1980s was to write
a Programmers' Manual for a new Cobol compiler for Z-80 based computer.

This in spite of the fact that I had not ever programmed a line of
COBOL. Nor had we a copy of the compiler and/or any computer that would
execute it.

And you all wondered why computer manuals were so useless ...

Now, I wish somebody would write a manual on how to grow carrots --- or
even to get more than 1% of the seeds to germinate

Best regards,

Jon C.

[...]

--