Old 14-04-2003, 07:08 PM
Fenny

Default What To Do With Dirty Weeds

Previously on Buffy the Vampire Slayer ^W^W^W^W uk.rec.gardening, I
heard swroot say...
If I can't do that, or it's something with seeds, then the weeds are
stored in a lidded bin/in the garage until I remember I'll be passing
the tip, at which point I add them to the 'green waste' compacter. In
this county green waste is either roughly composted, then spread on
fields farmed using glyphosate (they don't have to worry about problem
weeds) or processed using anaerobic digestion.

In Northamptonshire, we have wheelie bins for garden waste & compost.
However, they recently sent us a note to say:

"Following the foot and mouth epidemic, legal changes have been made to
the Animal By-products Order. This restricts the types of waste that
can be composted in the open air. As a result, vegetable peelings,
fruit, salad, tea bags, stale bread and eggshells that would normally be
put in the brown bin along with garden waste and cardboard can no longer
be included."

I don;t understand how that list has anything to do with animal by-
products. We are told that we are allowed to continue to put them on
our own compost heaps, but if we throw them away, they go in the black
bin with all the non recyclable stuff.
--
Fenny
If anyone ever tries to tell you nothing rhymes with orange, don't