Old 16-05-2009, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening,rec.gardens,rec.gardens.edible
Bill[_13_] Bill[_13_] is offline

Default onions and leeks question

In article ,
"Steve Peek" wrote:

"Bill" wrote in message
In article
,
Judith in France wrote:

Leeks aren't to be planted until they are about the diameter of a No.2
school pencil, and then they are placed in a trench which is slowly
filled in to give the blanched portion of the leek.

They can also be planted deep using a dibble and then compost, mulch,
etc (you know the routine) added....to accomplish the same end.

Charlie

We just use a dibble and drop in the leek, we don't fill it in;
watering always releases a little soil.

Judith

Interesting as leek culture got me thinking they do not exist in the
wild. Stuff casting out seeds and a few manage to produce replicates.
So a pointed hole and a young plant and the chances increase.

Thank you Judith

Bill below permanent leek beds New to me!!

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/allium/msg0112100512397.html

--
Garden in shade zone 5 S Jersey USA

Not all who wander are lost.
- J.R.R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

I'm afraid you're mistaken, Bill. Ramps are wild leaks. They are strongly
flavored, but leaks nonetheless.
Steve

Never heard of ramps are they edible?

Bill