Old 16-05-2009, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default urg FAQs

In message
,
Judith in France writes
On May 16, 5:01*pm, June Hughes
wrote:
In message , Sacha
writes

On 2009-05-16 15:27:00 +0100, David Rance
said:

Sorry, I missed a bit:

On Sat, 16 May 2009 *K wrote:

But maybe people would like to renew some of the FAQs completely.
After *all, it was always something which the membership of this
group *contributed to and was a way of making their experience more
permanent *while avoiding unnecessary repetition of the same
questions time after *time.
*It never worked, though ;-) We were still besieged by people
wanting us *to sit down and pen instant answers because they were
unwilling to do *an elementary search.
*That's a little unfair. "Besieged" is a little bit of hyperbole and
I'm *sure they didn't expect *instant* answers. And you don't know how
many people did consult those pages without bothering us. Come on, I
thought *gardeners were optimistic people! :-)
*If I didn't think it was worthwhile I wouldn't have spent hours this
week tracking these missing FAQs down and then formatting them. And I
have been a reader here for around thirteen years and have valued them
myself. (And my welcome to this group when I wrote my first message
back in 1996 was that two people violently disagreed with my views on
the growing of mistletoe, both of whom still write here and one of
whom called me an idiot!)

And David Rance wrote:

And they all work now.
*I meant, all the links work now!
*Best wishes, David

It occurs to me that we could do with a FAQ on growing tomatoes and
cucumbers because I've noticed that we seem to have a lot more people
doing that now and coming to urg for advice. *Several *of our more
experienced gardeners are old hands at this so perhaps one of them
would like to write a tomato and cucumber FAQ? * And perhaps we need
one on growing e.g. squashes? *What does the team think? *;-))

Well, Sacha, I haven't posted here for several years although I have
lurked occasionally. *If I had enough gardening knowledge, I would
happily write an FAQ about something but I don't think I am qualified to
do so.

OTOH, I could do one on growing figs because someone here gave me good
advice about five years ago when I acquired a fig tree and I have had a
modicum of success with it but I don't think many people would be
interested in growing figs. *In any case, there isn't a great deal to
say about them once the tree is established.
--
June Hughes

I would be interested in you wrote a FAQ on figs, I would like one on
a S.E. aspect with vicious winters so I don't know how that would
fare?

Judith

Our winters are very mild in north London, so I don't do anything to
protect mine. If it were to be extremely cold, I think I would be
tempted to wrap it in fleece. There used to be several people here who
grew figs when I got my tree several years ago. Perhaps they will see
your post and be able to advise.
--
June Hughes