Old 16-05-2009, 06:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
June Hughes June Hughes is offline

Default How much to pay for someone to mow my lawn?

In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 16 May 2009 17:38:55 +0100, June Hughes

wrote:

In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 16 May 2009 16:53:42 +0100, June Hughes

wrote:

In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 16 May 2009 14:38:00 +0100, hugh ] wrote:

In message , Gordon H
writes
In message , Martin
writes
On Sat, 16 May 2009 11:20:52 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , supercarl
writes

Hello,

What is the going rate for someone to mow a lawn?

(Front and back, fairly small as it is a new-ish property, on a
slope).
Cheers

I'll do it free, subject to travel expenses second home allowance and
utility bills.

and first class train pass, gift of large petrol engine powered
lawnmower,
extremely short working year and immunity from prosecution?

Joking apart, I can remember when I attended an ICL programming course
in Windsor, back in the 70s, we were entitled to 1st Class train
travel, along with the brief cases and umbrellas.
Bloody hell. I went to Ealing on a System 4/70 engineering course in
1967 and we only got 2nd class. But then I was in manufacturing. You
were obviously sales.

I travelled by plane and underground to an IBM course near Lords
cricket ground
in 1969.

I did that in 1969 on a course for Autocoder (IBM 1400 series computer).
Perhaps we were on the same course.

I did an OS 360 and IBM Assembler course in January or February1969

I think I stayed at the Clarendon
Hotel,

It's got a lot of recommendations on Trip Advisor if it is the same one.

which I am told is now a bed and breakfast hotel. I may be

Near Russell Square??

wrong. I can remember a girl who had been to Essex University and lived
in a flat in Chelsea because I went for a meal at her place. I can also
remember a girl from Hungary but that is all. However, it is a long
time ago.

I stayed in a hotel just around the corner a few minutes walk from where they
gave the courses.

The course was memorable for IBM losing all our punched cards.

I don't recall that happening. I can remember someone saying something
about being able to see into the cricket ground from the windows but
that is all.

They took all the packs of cards containing our work and sent them somewhere to
use as test data. Whoever received them binned them instead of returning them.
The instructors giving the courses had been given the same courses the week
before us. I wasn't very impressed with the instructors' knowledge.

I haven't done programming for many years but enjoyed the course at IBM.
I also enjoyed the job (Distington Engineering, Workington - part of the
then Steel Corporation). I remember being very impressed that my boss
did Fortran, which I didn't need because I wasn't the least bit
scientific. However, we did all the programming for the admin side of
the business and that was great fun. (Like playing Christmas carols on
the computer at Christmas using punched cards - a bit sad but that was
in the days of second generation computers and transistors etc).
--
June Hughes