Old 17-05-2009, 03:05 PM posted to rec.gardens
enigma enigma is offline

Default wild blackberries or a cultivar

Jeff wrote in
:

I have a stretch along my curb where I get a lot sun
(Atlanta), the
soil is poor here but I could amend it. I'd like to put
something in there that doesn't look completely unkempt (to keep
the city off my back).

I notice that some wild blacberries have set in, and I've
mostly been
whacking these back, because they look unkempt. So...

If I leave the wild berries, can they be tamed. They seem to
like to
spread horizontaly. Would I be better off with a commercial
cultivar?

blackberries are messy growers. even named cultivars need a LOT of
guides & pruning to not get out of hand. i doubt any pedestrians
using the sidewalks would appreciate you growing blackberries, unless
you get one of the thornless types. even so, the berries will be
polluted by street traffic & shouldn't be eaten due to the heavy
metals etc.
lee