Old 17-05-2009, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Why are seeds so reluctant to grow?

In article ,
David in Normandy wrote:
alan.holmes wrote:
I've planted peas, parsnips and climbing french beans but nothing ahs
appeared, why is that?

I'm getting concerned that nothing I plant will grow!(:-(

Peas should be up in a couple of weeks. Similarly French runner beans.

Maybe. Or maybe not. French and runner beans (they are different
species) are very prone to rot, and peas can, too. I soak them for
12 hours, wash them in dilute bleach, let them sprout on damp tissue
paper (dampened with the bleach solution), covered by clingfilm, and
only when they have started, plant them out. Even so, I can get as
few as 30% through if the weather is cold and wet :-(

It is also worth starting climbing beans in paper pots (you need only
a few, though that means 50-100 for me), until they are 6-12" high.
You can then control the dampness better, if you keep them under cover.

The same as for pumpkins and squashes, for the same reasons.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.