Old 17-05-2009, 11:50 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
Kurt[_2_] Kurt[_2_] is offline

Default Green water - help needed

In article ,
dunns2 wrote:

Hi need some help if possible, I have an Oase Clear Filter 6000
pressurised unit and 6000 Oase pond pump, I have lived in my house for
about 6 years and have never changed the water, you can see on he
picture the water is very green. The fish are mating every year at
least 30 -50 babies per year. I have 2 Koi as you can see in the
picture otherwise the others are all gold fish I think ? I have set up
a quarantine tank so I can start to remove some of the babies and
smaller fish. What I really would like to know is should I be removing
the water and cleaning out the pond from scratch? Bearing in mind this
has never been cleaned for at least 10 years. Is there a good time to
do this?

I would appreciate any help

Thanks, Steve

You need to use a photo hosting service like Photobucket in order for us
to view your pictures. I'm reading this through a newsreader.

Without seeing your pond, I'd just clean and drain half.
It's mostly about scooping the crud off the bottom. A safe-for-fish
algaecide will help control the algae until you get a balance back.