Old 18-05-2009, 08:48 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
FarmI FarmI is offline

Default Heirloom Apples

"sherwin dubren" wrote in message
FarmI wrote:
"sherwin dubren" wrote in message

In my case, I feel that proper usage of these chemicals will have a
negligible effect on the environment. Automobiles, planes, power
plants, etc. far out shadow anything I do in my backyard. If you have
never tasted a quality apple from the tree, you probably don't know
what you are missing.

If you are implying that unless sprays are used it is not possible to
harvest quality apples then you are wrong.

Our apples were superb this year and not one drop of spray was used and
we harvested from 4 apple trees. Our other apple trees are still too
small to be producing yet.

Can you define quality?

Looks good, has superb flavour, keeps well and keeps a great flavour right
through to the final apple.

Red Delicious can be clean, shinny, and red,
but is the last apple I would buy or grow.

That is a personal preference.

I'm sure some people love Red Delicious so that apple would fit their
criteria of being a good apple. I don't like Red Delicious either, but then
I've only ever eaten commercially produced ones. Home grown ones may be
very different.

You don't mention which varieties you are growing. You also don't mention
where you live.
This can make a difference. This discussion started with Heirloom
Apples, most of which need spraying to keep them clean.

Beauty of Bath, Lord Lambourne, Cox's Orange Pippin, Worchester Pearmain,
Laxton Superb, Bramley Seedling, Fuji, Red Gauntlet.

I live in Australia.

If you anything about apples, then you should recognise that the list I gave
of what we have is chock full of heritage/heirloom apples.

And certainly location MAY indeed be a factor is growing apples that you
call "clean". But that is not what you originally wrote. I grow apples
that are not sprayed at all, ever.

It is possible to grow good apples without spraying.