Old 18-05-2009, 04:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default urg FAQs

On 2009-05-18 13:35:21 +0100, Judith in France

On 2009-05-18 09:48:58 +0100, Judith in France
said:

On May 16, 6:52*pm, June Hughes
wrote:
snip
I would be interested in you wrote a FAQ onfigs, I would like one on
a S.E. *aspect with vicious winters so I don't know how that would
fare?

Judith

Our winters are very mild in north London, so I don't do anything to
protect mine. *If it were to be extremely cold, I think I would be
tempted to wrap it in fleece. *There used to be several people here

who
grewfigswhen I got my tree several years ago. *Perhaps they will see
your post and be able to advise.
--
June Hughes

Thanks, maybe Sacha's Ray would know?

Judith

We don't protect ours here, Judith, either the ones we sell or our own..
*Our experience is that they're hard to kill off but then we're not
gardening in your conditions, which are those of a ski resort! *AIUI,
figs like their roots restricted and old gardeners used to say they did
best outside the dunny! *They came from Persia originally, I think, so
I can't see one surviving your winter. *I think you're going to have to
add a conservatory to the house or move further south! *However,
because they do like a restricted root run in order to fruit really
prolifically, you could grow one in a container, in full sun and bring
it in for the winter. *They'll need a feed from time to time and wood
or plastic is warmer for them in winter and not as hot in summer as a
clay or china pot.
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

Thanks, I think I will plant one in a huge pot, rather like the pot I
posted a pic of with the Oleander in. *I brought that into the barn
for the Winter; it did very well, with only sips of water now and
again. *Maybe I can find a suitable wood pot somewhere.

Judith

In France?!?! * Half barrels at the local chais!
Sachawww.hillhousenursery.com
Exotic plants, shrubs & perennials
South Devon

A half barrel it will be then.