Old 18-05-2009, 07:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default urg FAQs

On May 18, 5:11*pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009 08:41:19 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 18, 3:01*pm, June Hughes
wrote:
In message , K
writes

June Hughes writes
In message , K
writes
Judith in France writes

I have just browsed the figs I didn't know there were so many. *I want
one that I can grow on a warm wall, hot summers but vicious winters,
any suggestions?

Apparently in 1955 there were more than 600 varieties listed

How many are there now, Kay, please?

Not a clue! *"Today few varieties are offered by nurserymen, but many
of the others are found in private collections" (or words to that
effect) (Alan Simmons "Manual of Fruit" . But that was written in 1978,
which was a bit of a low period, before the age of 'heritage' and the
more sensible feeling that diversity is worth preserving as a breeding
reservoir.

Thanks for the info anyway. *I was looking at figs in the nursery
yesterday but the only variety on offer was Brown Turkey and the plants
were only about three feet high. *Mine is getting on for ten feet now
and has several new, fruiting branches.

Didn't someone here once say you should bury a dead donkey underneath a
fig tree? *No good if you have your tree in a pot, of course
--
June Hughes

I know someone told me that when I enquired about a vine.

It was Rusty who has had a full donkey cemetery for some years.
--

Martin

I could well believe it was Rusty, not seen him posting in the last
few days?

Judith