Old 18-05-2009, 08:05 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Ophelia[_4_] Ophelia[_4_] is offline

Default urg FAQs

"Judith in France" wrote in message
On May 18, 5:11 pm, Martin wrote:
On Mon, 18 May 2009 08:41:19 -0700 (PDT), Judith in France

wrote:
On May 18, 3:01 pm, June Hughes
wrote:
In message , K
writes

June Hughes writes
In message , K
writes
Judith in France writes

I have just browsed the figs I didn't know there were so many. I
want
one that I can grow on a warm wall, hot summers but vicious
winters,
any suggestions?

Apparently in 1955 there were more than 600 varieties listed

How many are there now, Kay, please?

Not a clue! "Today few varieties are offered by nurserymen, but many
of the others are found in private collections" (or words to that
effect) (Alan Simmons "Manual of Fruit" . But that was written in
1978,
which was a bit of a low period, before the age of 'heritage' and the
more sensible feeling that diversity is worth preserving as a breeding
reservoir.

Thanks for the info anyway. I was looking at figs in the nursery
yesterday but the only variety on offer was Brown Turkey and the plants
were only about three feet high. Mine is getting on for ten feet now
and has several new, fruiting branches.

Didn't someone here once say you should bury a dead donkey underneath a
fig tree? No good if you have your tree in a pot, of course
--
June Hughes

I know someone told me that when I enquired about a vine.

It was Rusty who has had a full donkey cemetery for some years.
--

Martin

I could well believe it was Rusty, not seen him posting in the last
few days?

I just asked the very same question. I can't remember when I last saw him
posting I do hope he is ok!