Old 24-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] lime deposits on pots -- a report of an experiment

for lime deposits around the rim of pots.
I have found ordinary table vinegar and a brush usually does

the trick.

Well, you're invited to come down and try it on my pots. I have
used straight glacial acetic acid to no avail. (I know --
DANGER! Don't try this at home without heavy rubber gloves, long
sleeves and eye protection -- and even then . . .)

I have used caustic bathroom lime cleaners to no avail (including
soaking the pot in a bucket of the stuff -- straight -- for 24
hours. (It all but dissolved one cheap Chinese pot ;-).

I can use the bathroom cleaner and steel wool with some success
but the steel wool (used as hard as I must use it) leaves fine
marks on the glaze, too, and is thus unacceptable for better
pots.

So, any time you want to try common household vinegar on my
calcium magnesium carbonate deposits, y'all come on down!

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++