Old 19-05-2009, 09:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Kate Morgan Kate Morgan is offline

Default Rosa Rugosa Japenese Rose

I have a wonderful hedging rose in flower at the moment, the smell is
amazing. A friend asked me what it was called and I had to hide my
ignorance by diving into the border to find the label, the name on the
label says it is Rosa Rugosa Japanese Rose, the picture shows a single
rose but mine is not a single by any stretch of the imagination, the hips
will be there later, small spiky thorns are there but the flower is
different, I need educating I think. I must switch off the p.c. as we are
having a belting thunderstorm here and power cuts, better be safe than
sorry

Rosa rugosa is the wild species, and there has been a lot of breeding to
produce different garden varieties, some of which are double. As far as I
know, all the rugosa varieties are either white or deep pink. The easy
characteristic, though, is the 'rugose' leaves - sort of all crinkled up
rather than smooth and shiny like most roses.
--
Kay

Sacha put forward one possibility and that is Roseraie de l`Hay and after
looking closely at mine and other pictures on line I think that may be the
one, it is the nearest so far, later it will have super hips and it does
indeed have crinkled leaves as Kay suggests

thanks to all

kate

p.s. we survived the thunder and lightning :-)