Old 14-04-2003, 08:32 PM
Roger Van Loon

Default Climber ID please.

Nick Maclaren wrote:

In article ,
(Nick Maclaren) writes:

| | ..., and I'm told,
| | after the first flush it keeps on flowering a bit all season.
|
| ..., except that it does NOT normally keep on
| flowering all season! It does have a few stray flowers later, at
| least sometimes, though.

Sorry. Upon rereading, I had missed the "a bit". Yes, Akebia
quinata fits the description perfectly. It has a relative that
is sometimes grown in the UK, A. ternata, but I have never seen it.

Incidentally, A. quinata layers readily, if you want to propagate
it. Just pin down a shoot in a pot or the earth and wait a year.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Hi Nick
Yes, I'm sure that your identification (Akebia quinata) is the right
one.
When you say A. ternata, however, I'm sure you mean A. trifoliata. And
there is a hybrid between those two - A. x pentaphylla.
I have all three of them. And even seedlings from (open-pollinated)
crosses between them...
But, if you have never seen some of them, you haven't missed much,
IMHO. They are very much alike (just some difference in the leaves).
I just grew them all in the hope that cross-pollination would produce
more fruits.
But no luck - with me, fruits come only in very warm years.
Regards,
Roger.

--
Walk tall, walk straight, and look the world right into the eye.

You're welcome to visit my gardening page:
http://users.pandora.be/roger.van.loon/gardenp.htm