Old 20-05-2009, 07:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A Garden That Looks After Itself?

Sacha wrote:

I really can't see the point of a garden you don't have to work in.

I can see that there might be some people to whom this would appeal.
Maybe people who would love to have a garden but don't because of all
the ongoing work required.

Personally I wouldn't want such a level of automation. Part of the
attraction of gardening is being close to nature and working with it -
not distancing oneself from it through technology.

The other angle is cost. Many gardeners and veg growers are very cost
aware and like the challenge of making do and converting old bits and
pieces to meet their needs - the old Geoff Hamilton approach to
gardening. If I had the money to afford some new fangled bit of
technology I'd sooner spend the money on some new plants.

--
David in Normandy.