Old 20-05-2009, 09:02 PM posted to rec.ponds.moderated
ReelMcKoi ReelMcKoi is offline

Default Water Hawthorne

"Jim Elbrecht" wrote in message
Someone used WH as a plant abbreviation and my brain wasn't working
well enough to just assume they meant the ubiquitous Water Hyacinth--
so I googled & found a Water Hawthorne.

Thanks a lot, buddy. Now I've got to make another trip or place
another order at a plant store.g
http://www.mwgs.org/index.php?rte=pltviewd&pidA&cid=1
Looks like an floating orchid to me- pads like elongated Lilly pads-
hardy to zone 5- will grow in water 6-inches to 2-feet deep- but this
is what hooked me "It will bloom in the spring while the waters are
still cold, and then again in the fall once the water temperatures
have fallen."

Any good [or horror] stories on this one?

Jim

If you mean water hyacinths, they're not hardy here in zone 6a.
The water hawthorn I once had didn't survive winter here either.
--
RM....
Frugal ponding since 1995.