Old 21-05-2009, 01:59 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
[email protected] man@privacy.net is offline

Default When to pull up beets

On Wed, 20 May 2009 09:48:40 -0400, Gary Woods
wrote:

:"Robert Lewis" wrote:
:
:First time beet grower, with a very small patch. How do I know when to
:harvest them?
:
:When they're the size you want... edible at any size.
:
:Enviously (mine are just germinating),
:
:Gary Woods AKA K2AHC- PGP key on request, or at home.earthlink.net/~garygarlic
:Zone 5/6 in upstate New York, 1420' elevation. NY WO G

Word of advice - don't let them sit in the ground too long once they are
ready for harvest. They will get tough a woody. Been a long time since I
grew beets, but I remember the disappointment. Eat the greens, too. Beet
greens are very tasty!

Dan

Email: dmusicant at pacbell dot net